The Tennessee Wars Commission announces the awarding of over $109,000 in grants to fund six projects in six counties across the state. Since 1994, the Tennessee Wars Commission, a division of the Tennessee Historical Commission, has supported over one hundred different projects that preserve, protect, and interpret the military heritage of Tennessee from the period of the French and Indian War through the Civil War. Awards granted in this cycle represent the second largest distribution from the fund. “The Wars Commission grant fund is an opportunity for a wide variety of communities to enhance war-related sites and further our collective knowledge of these historical events,” said Wars Commission Program Director Nina L. Scall. Projects funded this year include: Bicentennial Capitol Mall State Park in Davidson County received $10,000 in support of programming to better interpret Tennessee’s African American participation in the Civil War.
Camp Blount Historic Site Association in Lincoln County received $25,000 to complete fabrication and installation of the Tennessee Volunteer Statue at this important War of 1812 encampment site. Historic Cragfont in Sumner County received $5,000 to research and present the home front story of Sumner County and Castalian Springs during the Civil War, focusing on life for the enslaved community and the citizens of Castalian Springs at that time. Johnsonville State Historic Park in Humphreys County received $11,500 to bolster the site’s living history program, which features artillery and infantry firing demonstrations, by purchasing a 10-pound Parrot artillery piece, a reproduction Springfield Musket, and cannongrade black powder.
Parkers Crossroads in Henderson County received $48,180 to expand the historic park’s collection of field artillery pieces.
Slave Haven Underground Railroad Museum in Shelby County received $10,000 to hire a public historian. The consultant’s research will focus on contraband camps and the events of the Civil War, their social impact in Memphis, and their connection to the historic site to inform exhibition updating at the site.